Have You Been Involved in an Accident?
Don’t Let Your Injuries Define You.
We are surrounded by products that help us be more efficient, allow us to do things we could not do otherwise and entertain us. We just assume they are well designed and manufactured, but the truth is a poorly designed or manufactured product that we think little about could potentially kill or seriously injure us or a family member. In the case of medical devices and pharmaceuticals, products we think will make us healthier may actually do much more harm than good.
AGNEWBRUSAVICH helps those injured by defective products, and the family members of loved ones killed by these products.
- This area of law can be highly technical, requiring multiple expert witnesses.
- Defendants can be multi-national corporations worth many billions of dollars, able to afford formidable defenses to legal claims.
These issues will not stop us from fully representing our clients and protecting their rights to obtain the most compensation possible.
Under product liability law, a product must be designed, marketed, and manufactured so it is safe to use for its intended purpose.
- Any or all parties along the chain of manufacture or sale of a defective product could be sued for damage caused by that product.
- This includes those designing and engineering the product, companies supplying component parts, the assembling manufacturer, the wholesaler, and the retail seller.
- There must be harm to an end user or a bystander innocently injured due to the defect.
Defective Drugs and Medical Products Harm More Than They Heal.
Medications and medical devices that we expect to help us live our lives can potentially injure and kill unsuspecting consumers. There are far too many defective drugs and devices on the market.
- Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) records show there were 1,734 drug recalls from 2004 to 2011; 91 of those recalls were done because they had the greatest risk of causing patients serious harm, even death.
- The FDA recalled 1,190 defective medical devices in 2012 (up from 604 in 2003), with 57 of them due to a risk of serious harm or death.
- A medical product or pharmaceutical could be defective due to human error and lax quality control. Pharmaceutical companies and makers of medical devices may also put profits ahead of safety.
- The costs of developing, obtaining government approval, and manufacturing drugs and medical devices can run into the billions of dollars.
- Manufacturers can be tempted to hide negative information about a potentially drug or device to obtain government approval and sell the product to as many people as possible to pay for the cost of development plus profit margins stockholders demand from the company.
A defective drug could result in serious, unexpected side effects that could result in a permanent disability or death. The failure of a medical device can also cause injury or death. The implant of a defective medical device (such as a heart valve, hip replacement, knee joint, or pacemaker) may require additional surgery to replace the defective device. The end result could be a greater disability than what the patient originally suffered prior to getting the implant.
Defective Autos and Auto Parts Can Cause Catastrophic Accidents.
There are thousands of parts in the modern automobile. Though some are more critical than others, they all need to be designed, manufactured, and assembled correctly for that car to operate properly and safely. Vehicles could be dangerously defective because of a particular part, how a group of parts work together or due to the overall design or assembly of the vehicle.
Because of defects, vehicles may become difficult to control, suddenly accelerate or stall or safety devices may fail to work. The end result could be hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries.
About 15.6 million new cars were sold in the U.S. in 2013, but 22 million vehicles were recalled that same year. Those recalls were made with 632 different campaigns started by the government or by the automakers themselves.
If you or a family member have been injured due to a defective product, AgnewBrusavich has the knowledge, experience, and resources to protect your rights and obtain the best possible outcome. Contact our office so we can discuss your situation and the best way for you to move forward.